NSW Game Hunting Licence 

In NSW, only game hunting licence holders have access to public land hunting opportunities, native game bird hunting and other game and pest animal management programs on public and some private land.

A NSW Game Hunting licence gets you:

  • $20 million public liability insurance cover (standard licence)

  • access to 2 million hectares of public land (Restricted Licence)

  • opportunity to take part in the Native Game Bird Management Program

  • access to specialised education and training opportunities through the Hunter Learning, Education and Accreditation Program(LEAP)




Yes, you need a hunting licence if you are:

 No, you don't need a game licence if you are:

 I'm a hunter 

 Hunting deer on any land.

 Hunting native game birds on private land.

 Hunting on public lands (State Forests). 

 Hunting rabbits, foxes, feral goats, feral pigs, feral cats, or wild dogs (not dingo) on private land.

 I'm a landowner hunting on land that I own or occupy

 Hunting deer on land that is not owned by you.

 Hunting native game birds on any private land.

 Hunting on public land. 

 Hunting deer on land that you own or occupy.

 Performing a duty on your own land under an existing Act or any Act that obliges you to manage, control or eradicate an animal.

Acting for the purpose of killing or treating an animal in distress due to injury or illness.

 I'm an Indigenous Australian

 Hunting that is not culturally traditional or subject to native title.

 Hunting under a native title right or interest.

 Traditional cultural hunting as a member of a Local Aboriginal Land Council.

 Traditional cultural hunting in the company of a member of a Local Aboriginal Land Council.

 I work for a landholder

 Assisting someone performing a duty (not on your employer's land) under any existing act or any act that obliges you to manage, control or eradicate an animal.

 Acting in the execution of your duties as an employee (on land owned by your employer) under any existing Act or any Act that obliges you to manage, control or eradicate an animal.


Applying for a Restricted Game Hunting Licence (R-Licence)


  • be over 12 years of age

  • be a member of an Approved Hunting Organisation (AHO)

  • complete the R-Licence Accreditation Course. Book you R-Licence Course at the bottom of this page.

Supporting evidence:

  • Completed application form

  • R-Licence Accreditation From (from your assessment)

  • Proof of eligible minor or pensioner concession.

Licence fees:

R-Licence Accreditation Course $10 booking $25 CASH on day to trainer.

Lodging your application:

Your Hunter LEAP Trainer will give you all the paperwork you need to lodge your application. You need to apply directly with the Game Licensing unit. Use the Apply Online option if you are paying by credit card to receive your licence sooner.

DPI Link, Apply Online


 Game and Native Animals


Download the below, Hunter Education Hand book. Carefully read before sitting for your R-Licence course

HUNTER EDUCATION HAND BOOK DOWNLOADImage result for download icon